Navigation for Mountain Running
Sunday May 21st 09:00 - 15:00
Brockagh Forest, St Kevin's Church, Laragh, County Wicklow.
6 hours of learning the skills required to navigate over the hills with confidence. Aimed primarily (but not exclusively) at Mountain Runners seeking the freedom to break away from marked trails, to train in new places, enter races requiring navigation, Mountain Marathons, Adventure Races and take on such challenges as the Wicklow Round..
This will be a step by step walk-through of the basics of navigating aimed at mountain runners. The concepts and skills of finding your way will be broken into steps, each building up to give you confidence in your skills.
Please bring along whatever maps you have and clothing suitable for walking with plenty of standing around in the outdoors.
What will be covered?
* Maps. How to read them, trust them, distrust them then grow to love them.
* Route choice. How to pick the route that works best with your strengths.
* Re-location. What to do when you expect the ground to rise but it is falling.
* Compasses. Why they are not scary and not really that important when you love maps.
* Contours. The most important lines you'll ever meet when on the hills.
* The 3 key words. You'll have to come along to find them out.
Booking conditions apply.